Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's in a name?

We are a generation that depends on instant gratification. Everything is marketed in the here and now. Our brains are wired to think in the short-term, without considering the long-term ramifications. In addition, we've grown to expect to get whatever we want without exerting any effort. This societal norm is exemplified by our dependence on computers, but more specifically, on laptops.
First commercially distributed in 1981, but not widely available until the late 80's, laptops have taken over our lives in a way no other machine has done before or since. It is the all-knowing source of information. Over the years it has taken on more and more roles; from Microsoft Word to the World Wide Web, laptops are the go-to gadget for anyone who wants to stay connected. As a college student, I rely on it heavily for my classes. Between note taking, paper researching and writing, communication, and news and current events, my laptop is with me for most of my waking hours. As I'm sure you'd assume, I'm writing this blog on my laptop, and you readers are most likely reading this on your own.
While I am a proud laptop owner, I of course struggle to balance my real life, filled with interpersonal relationships and real awareness of the world around me, and my cyber life, complete with all that's been mentioned above. It's never easy turning it off when I should be studying or going to sleep. So now I wonder, how has the existence of the laptop influenced society? It's indicative in the name of the product that one can sit anywhere and enjoy its small size, light-weight, portable nature. We are conditioned to get used to the idea that we don't have to put an ounce of effort into attaining anything - it can be reached by this handy dandy device. Suddenly we find ourselves enslaved by a machine that keeps us from getting out of bed, or moving from our desk, in order to actually be productive in our day. So maybe when trying to understand what's created this generation that's so strongly embraced the idea of instant gratification, we can turn to these small machines as the source of our own demise. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment